The Statue of Paul Bogle
The statue of Paul Bogle was erected in front of the historic Morant Bay Courthouse as part of the Centenary ceremonies honouring the Morant Bay Rebellion in 1965.
The statue was created by Mrs. Edna Manley for the Ministry of Development and Welfare as a symbolic representation of Paul Bogle, the Native Baptist Deacon who led the march on the Courthouse on October 11, 1865.
Mrs. Manley meant to Aufblasbare Hindernisbahn capture the mood of looking into the future combined with stern resolution in the moment. The statue was cast in clay and moulded in cement fondue. It stood for nearly forty years in front of the Morant Bay Courthouse, where it served as a monument to one of Jamaica’s National Heroes and to the 1865 Morant Bay Rebellion.
Map of Port Royal City by Oliver Cox.
Done in 1991 to represent Port Royal as it may have appeared three hundred years earlier in 1690.
The Museums of St. James is now known as the National Museum West and is located in the Montego Bay Civic Center, now known as the Montego Bay Cultural Center, located in Sam Sharpe Square, Montego Bay.The Montego Bay Cultural Center was originally built as the Montego Bay Court House which became the Montego Bay Civic Center.